Independence Day Long Weekend: The festive season has already begun as we say goodbye to the July rains. This year August is full of celebrations and there is a long weekend just around the corner. For the uninitiated, in August you might be able to enjoy a nice long break on Independence Day week 2022. Yes, it’s not just a national holiday, but it’s combined with the leave for Rakshabandhan, if you take this Friday off, my friend, here is your long awaited break.Read also – Jhansi Fort: one of the first seats to return on this Independence Day
Appointment: August 11, Thursday (Rakshbandhan), August 12, Friday (may take time off), August 13-14 (weekends) and August 15 Monday (Independence Day) Read also – This Independence Day, celebrate 75 years of freedom at the Wagah border | A first-hand guide here
Now might be the perfect time to explore places near you or maybe just escape the four walls of your home and breathe new life into freedom. We have selected a few places that could be waiting for your presence. Although not very uncommon, these popular spots make for a good spontaneous getaway. It’s time to take these favorite tourist destinations off your to-do list.
Where the mercury mixes during the summers, this time of the season makes it one of the most ideal places to visit. Every corner of this state shines with the colors of culture and heritage. While Jaipur might be a bit mainstream (but still a good option), its neighboring places – Udaipur-Jaisalmer are worth all your time.
Things to do:
- Sightseeing in Udaipur – the city of lakes has beautiful lakes to visit, has lavish palaces representing the royalty of Rajasthan
- The Manaspura Karni Mata cable car will give you a bird’s eye view of the city
- Jaisalmer – Jaisalmer Fort is an architectural marvel not to be missed. The sand dunes of the Thar Desert offer thrilling options like quad biking, parasailing which will add color to the excitement apart from the royal history of various palaces here. Overnight desert camping, camel safari are also unique experiences.
Well, it’s a versatile travel destination that somehow suits every season, every mood, and every type of business. From beaches to hikes, Goa has a bit of everything to offer
Things to do:
- Bask in the sun on several beaches in Goa, jumping on the beach could be fun!
- Taste food at the local kitchen and shacks
- Experience the thrill of indulging in various water sports activities like parasailing, banana boat ride, jet skiing, and more.
- Explore the back streets of Goa on rental two-wheelers, it’s much more fun that way!
- With Goa Tourism’s new monsoon treks, enjoy the rains in wildlife
An enchanting retreat in God’s country, Kerala, Idukki is a perfect place for complete rejuvenation. Kerala is also associated as a good wellness destination. After all, apart from the famous Ayurvedic spots, the natural riches here offer nothing less than a serene and calm environment. Surrounded by verdant tapestries of mountains, waterfalls and exotic vegetation, Idukki is a Stone Age civilization with a plethora of historical ruins to explore as well.
Things to do:
- Enjoy a spectacular sunset and sunrise at Hill View Park, Thommankuthu Falls; Meesapulimama (second highest peak in South India) for trekking; Vala waterfalls, etc. are also great tourist attractions
- Painavu is a good pit stop for a quick shopping spree
- Periyar National Park, Anamudi Shola National Park, Eravikulum National Park and some others will be a treat for wildlife enthusiasts as one can explore and spot some endangered species of flora and fauna here .
Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu
The lush green valleys that surround this scenic destination, Kodaikanal, never fail to bewitch tourists. It is perched at an elevation of approximately 7,000 feet above sea level and is an idyllic destination for all nature lovers.
Things to do:
- Refreshing boat rides, exploring caves are some frequented activities here
- Dolphin nose or Periyakulam trek is a good place to start your trekking experience
- Visit Pillar Rocks Lookout, Green Valley Lookout for breathtaking views
- Also, this place is famous for its assortments of homemade chocolates, so don’t miss the delicious sugar specialties from here.
Dotted with coconut trees, Dapoli is a popular seaside destination. It is a tropical place with a pleasant climate almost all year round. Above all, from July to September, this place is bursting with life.
Things to do:
- Sightseeing – Harni Seaport, Suvarndurga, Sea Fort will take you back in time. If you are a story, this place is for you
- Dive into the hot springs of Unhavre, explore the caves of Pankhelja
- Water activities – swimming, surfing, parasailing, hiking, etc.
- If you want a local dining experience, try authentic Konkani cuisine
Lansdowne – Damdama – Neemrana, Delhi – NCR
There is always an array of options to choose from when it comes to Delhi-NCR, but when it comes time to decide, do we suddenly feel out of options? here are three places that can offer you an offbeat escape for this long weekend.
- Neemrana Fort – Have a royal experience at the luxurious Neemrana Fort which is bordered on the Delhi-Jaipur highway. With a swimming pool, spa, camel safari, zip line rides, vintage car rides, this place is brimming with life. It also often hosts colorful cultural events.
- Damdama Lake – there are plenty of activities to choose from once you arrive at the lake – parasailing, hot air balloon rides, rock climbing experience, zip line, paddle boats on the river and just relax. It is the largest natural lake in Haryana and an ideal destination for fun picnics.
- Lansdowne is the epitome of a quiet retreat. With its breathtaking sunsets and sunrises, it remains untouched by the chaos of the city. Bird watching, green hikes and other recreational activities make it the perfect place for family getaways.
Gokarna is a picturesque town on the coast of Karwar, Karnataka. It is best known for its beaches and temples, but the scenic landscapes will transport you to a tranquil state.
Things to do:
- beach trekking, beach hooping, hiking through Yana woods is a good place to start
- Fort Mirjan and Mahabaleshwar temple are two of the iconic places to visit
- Water activities – surfing, scuba diving, snorkeling, parasailing and jet skiing.
(All image credits: Pixabay)
What’s your pick to make this Independence Day long weekend a little more special?
PS: In the wake of the fury of the monsoon specially in the hills, it is better to avoid them for safety reasons.
For feedback on stories, tips or suggestions, mail [email protected]